|Smena-8M type 3b (1975) image by Süleyman Demir (Image rights)|
Smena-8M is a viewfinder 35mm film camera made by LOMO (Leningrad Optical-Mechanical Union = Ленинградское Oптико-Mеханическое Oбъединение, ЛОМО), in Leningrad , former USSR, and produced between 1970-95. Смена = Smena means Young Generation or Relay. Doubtless that it was the most popular Smena camera. You still can find it everywhere in post Soviet area.
The list of all Smena models is in the article Smena Series by GOMZ & MMZ & LOMO.
- Lens: LOMO (ЛОМО) T-43 (Triplet) 40mm f/4 filter slip-on
- Aperture: f/4-f/16 setting: ring and scale on front of the lens
- Focus range: 1-8m +inf
- Focusing: manual front element focusing, guess the distance or use the symbols on the scale
- Shutter: spring leaf shutter, speeds: 1/15-1/250 +B setting: ring and double scale on the lens shutter barrel, you can use either the symbols or numeric scales
- Shutter release: on the top plate w/cable release socket
- Cocking lever: on the lens-shutter barrel
- Winding knob: on the back of the top plate, double exposure preventing
- Frame counter: on the back of the top plate, manual setting with a thumb wheel, not works wo/ a film in the camera
- Viewfinder: reverse telescopic finder
- Re-windknob: on the top plate
- Re-wind release: pull-up the re-wind knob
- Flash PC socket: on the lens-shutter barrel
- Back cover: hinged
- Tripod socket: 1/4"
- Body: plastic; Weight: 261g
- Serial no. on the bottom plate, the first two digits show the production year
|Smena-8M type 4 (black name plate) (1990-92) image by Bogdi (Image rights)|
Notes and references
- Model info and typing are as to Alexander Komarov.
- There are usefull books about cameras of former USSR and have classifications also.
- Pages from the the book of former USSR cameras by Suglob, Shaternik, Kochergin
- Discussion about clasifications in the books of Princelle and Suglob, Shaternik, Kochergin in USSR Photo Forum