The Homer No.1 is a Japanese subminiature camera producing ten 14x14mm images on a roll of 17.5mm film. It was a more modern version of the Hit-type cameras, certainly made in the 1960s. It was distributed and perhaps manufactured by Kambayashi. The Petit is a name variant of the same camera.
The Homer No.1 has a rectangular styling, similar to the simple viewfinder cameras of the 1960s. It is made of plastic and metal, and has a gray finish with grayish leatherette. The viewfinder is integrated in the top housing. The film is advanced by a wheel at the rear, moved by the photographer's left thumb. The rear half of the camera is removable for film loading, together with the spool holders and crude advance mechanism. It is locked by sliding bars at both ends, and has an uncovered square window in the middle.
The lens is fixed-focus and has no marking. The aperture is selected by a two-position lever atop the lens barrel, and there are drawings of a cloudy or sunny landscape on either side of the viewfinder, serving as indications for the use of this control. The everset shutter takes instant exposures only. The mention MADE IN JAPAN is inscribed on the shutter plate, below the lens.
The camera exists in two versions, differing by the name inscribed at the top of the shutter plate: either HOMER NO.1 or PETIT. It seems that the full name of the Petit was "Petit 14", as appears on the original box. Variations are reported in the exact tint of the gray finish, but these reports might be based on the observation of ill-calibrated colour pictures.
The Toyoca Ace, also sold as the Homer 16, might be an evolution of the Homer No.1.
- McKeown, James M. and Joan C. McKeown's Price Guide to Antique and Classic Cameras, 12th Edition, 2005-2006. USA, Centennial Photo Service, 2004. ISBN 0-931838-40-1 (hardcover). ISBN 0-931838-41-X (softcover). Pp.240 and 455.
- Sugiyama, Kōichi (杉山浩一); Naoi, Hiroaki (直井浩明); Bullock, John R. The Collector's Guide to Japanese Cameras. 国産カメラ図鑑 (Kokusan kamera zukan). Tokyo: Asahi Sonorama, 1985. ISBN 4-257-03187-5. Item 5113.
These cameras are not listed in Kokusan kamera no rekishi.
- Homer No.1, lot no.429 of auction no.1 (November 15, 2002) by Westlicht Photographica Auction
- Homer and Petit at Submin.com; also has English instructions for the Homer No.1
- Homer cameras in Moshe Bar-El's camera collection
- Homer cameras, and brief mention of the Petit among 17.5mm film cameras at Subclub.org
- Homer No.1 in Nigel Richards' website
- Homer No.1 at Benbojo's Classic Cameras