|Exa 1b version 4.1 (1979) w/Domiplan 50mm f/2.8 Süleyman Demir (Image rights)|
VEB Pentacon licensed the production of screw-mount Exas to Certo Camera Werk, Dresden-Großzsachwitz, a part of VEB Pentacon. Cameras built by Certo have serial numbers preceded with a letter C. Some late Exa 1b version 4.4 and all Exa 1c version 4.5 made by Certo.  The later models of Exa 1b have black plastic top- and bottom plates.
Exa 1b body is virtually identical to Exa Ia except rewind knob replaced with a crank and the lens mount is M42, instead of the traditional Exakta bayonet mount. The camera also has internal aperture coupling for M42 automatic lenses.
There are 4 versions of the Exa 1b according to Andrzej Wrotniak .
Models[edit | edit source]
Version 4.1[edit | edit source]
- Produced between 1977-83 with quantity 206.400 units
- A&R 1, Hummel 059
- Serials: 600000-810000
- While the body is virtually identical to that of Exa Ia (with rewind crank replacing a knob), the lens mount is different: M42, accepting Practica/Pentax lenses. The camera also has internal aperture coupling for M42 automatic lenses.
Specifications[edit | edit source]
This data belongs to the version 4.1 in the photos.
- Lens release: simply screw counter clockwise
- Focusing: simple matte glass screen,
- Shutter: Mirror acts like a curtain as a part of the shutter, vertical moving, due to this maximum speed is limited to 1/175; half-depression of the shutter release allows a depth of field preview.
- Speeds: 1/30-1/175 +B setting: dial under the rewind crank knob
- Shutter release: on the left front of the camera, w/cable release socket
- Cocking lever: also winds the film, short stroke
- Frame counter: on the cocking lever knob, regressive type, manual setting
- Viewfinder: eye level SLR pentaprism, interchangeable
- Finder release: by a small lever on the back of top plate, turn it left and pull-up the finder
- Mirror: not instant return. Mirror is actually a part of the shutter mechanism. When the shutter released, the mirror goes up as in a conventional SLR, but when the exposure is over, a second cover rotates upward to block the light. There is no real shutter curtain.
- Flash PC socket: M and X, setting with the speeds knob
- Back cover: removable with the bottom plate, opens by a thumb wheel on the bottom plate
- Film loading: special take-up spool, removable
- Others: Memory dial; Tripod socket 1/4 inch; Strap lugs; Engaving on the back cover: Made in G.D.R.
- Body: metal; Weight:
- Lens: Standard lens is Domiplan (Meyer Optik), 50mm f/2.8, fully automatic, 3 elements; filter thread: 40.5mm
- Mount: M42 screw mount
- There is a standard M42 type arc/lever on the body, that depresses the pin on the lens that closes the diaphragm blades. When the pressure is let up, the lens opens fully again. A half-depression of the shutter release allows a depth of field preview.
- Aperture: f/2.8-f/22
- Focus range: 0.75-12m +inf
|Exa 1b version 4.1 w/ waist level finder image by Dries van den Elzen (Image rights)|
Version 4.2[edit | edit source]
- Produced between 1983-84, with quantity 49.800 units
- A&R 2, Hummel 060
- Serials: 810000-860000
- The front plate, previously chrome, is now made of black plastic.
Version 4.3[edit | edit source]
- Produced between 1984-85, with quantity 29.900 units
- A&R 3, Hummel 061
- Serials: 820000-890000
- The top plate, previously chrome, is now made of black plastic
Version 4.4[edit | edit source]
- Produced in 1985
- A&R 4, Hummel -
- Serials: 880000-890000 (quantity ?)
- The camera back and bottom, previously chrome, are now of black plastic. See .
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- According to Andrzej Wrotniak 
Links[edit | edit source]
- in Exaklaus
- in Andrzej Wrotniak's website
- in Captain Jack's website]
- in Maurizio Frizziero's website
- http://photo.net/classic-cameras-forum/00XJih in Photo.net]
- Exa camera and user manuals at www.collection-appareils.com by Sylvain Halgand
- The Exa and Exaktapages in German
- Exa 1b, by Daniel Jiménez, at Del infinito al plano focal (in Spanish)
- Exa 1b on r-kobus.eu
|Ihagee Exa series cameras|
|Exa (original) | Exa I | Exa Ia | Exakta 100 | VX 100 | Exa 1b | Exa 1c | Exa II | Exa IIa | Exa IIb | Exa 500 | Exakta 500 | VX 200|