| FTb QL - 2nd version|
The Canon FTb was introduced by Canon in March 1971. It is a mid-range mechanical 35mm SLR designed to use the FD-fitting lenses from the Canon F-1 range. In fact it is very similar to Canon FT with the difference the FTb uses FD instead of FL lenses.
The QL badge on the front denoted Canon's Quick Load system; the film was placed across the takeup-spool and the back closed; the film was automatically wound around the spool when the advance lever was operated.
The pentaprism viewfinder features a fresnel matt focus screen with a microprism focus aid. The FTb had open-aperture TTL metering covering an area of 12% in the center of the frame, with a match-needle display in the viewfinder. Metering was powered by a 1.35v mercury battery - now unobtainable, but alternatives are available. Meter film speed range ran from 25 to 2000 ISO.
The self-timer control also acts as a stop-down lever and mirror up function.
The horizontal cloth focal plane shutter has speeds 1s to 1/1000s + B all mechanical, working without battery.
Standard lenses were 55mm f/1.2, 50mm f/1.4 or 50mm f/1.8.
The second version of the FTb released in 1973, known unofficially as the FTbn, had an F-1 style stop-down lever and displayed the selected shutter speed in the viewfinder on a transparent rotating disc. Other cosmetic changes include a plastic tip to the film advance lever, a slightly different shutter speed dial and a permanent cover to the flash connection.
- Manual Camera User's Opinion
- Lionel's Canon FTb QL overview at 35mm-compact.com
- User manual in french for Canon FTb-QL at www.collection-appareils.fr
- At Sylvain Halgand's www.collection-appareils.fr
- Canon FTb Camera Manual : Photo-Manuals.com
- Video Manual by Shawnee Union
- Canon - FTb Statistic Price Info's at AuctionPriceTracker in English
- Canon - FTb Statistic Price Info's at AuctionPriceTracker in German
- Canon - FTb Statistic Price Info's at AuctionPriceTracker in Italian
- Canon FTb QL on Camdex (French)